You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘World War II’ tag.

WWII Veteran

Clifford Arrand Adelaide Township WWII Vet

Clifford Arrand was born in Adelaide Township in 1917. His family owned a large farm where they did custom threshing and serviced the community with farm supplies. He enlisted in the armed forces November 1939 in London and took his basic training in Woodstock where he was classified as a Gunner. After training he took leave to take employment at the Strathroy Flour Mill making flour for shipment overseas. He married Frances Wilson in 1944. Clifford was later recalled and after spending time in New Brunswick he landed in Europe in January 1945. He fought with the 95th Battalion 2nd Division for B Company with the Essex Scottish (based out of Windsor ON). After a number of hard-fought battles he was in Germany when his battalion received word that the Germans had surrendered on May 4th, 1945.

After the war Clifford and his wife Frances bought a farm in Adelaide Township and worked in mix farming for years. Clifford also worked for the Department of Highways and would travel where the work was, taking his young family and living in a trailer during the summer months. After retirement they sold the farm in Adelaide Township and moved to Strathroy.

Here is a YouTube video of Clifford at a school talking about his experiences in WWII.  Clifford passed away on December 17, 2013.

Information from

Adelaide Township: WWII Armed Forces … Their Stories

Adelaide Township … A History

Both compiled by the Adelaide Township Heritage Group.


When Ross was born in 1920 the Lyceum in Strathroy was showing Charlie Chaplin in “The Count”, and Rapley and Ballantyne Druggists were advertising Preserves and Pickles.

Lyceum Ad

Birth Announcement

Ross grew up in a large family that lived on Railway Avenue.   His father worked at Tantons Undertaker and Furniture Store on Front Street where he was an upholsterer by trade.  Ross attended Maitland Street Public School and judging by the photo below was one of the tallest boys in the class.


When Ross was only 16 he left school to support his family as his father had passed way a few years prior.  He started working at the Middlesex Furniture Factory in 1936 and continued there until the outbreak of war.   He joined the Royal Canadian Navy on May 20, 1942.  During the war he was part of the crew of the HMCS Huron.  Here you see a number of items from this time.  The boots were purchased in 1943 in England.  In each boot, on the strap, “K. R. Smith” is written.  Ross sewed his name into the Navy blanket using a “housewife” kit his mother sent him.

HMCS Huron

Ross Smith

Smith BlanketSmith Boots

Doris Wright
During his service in the Navy he started to court a “local girl” who was in the W. R. C. N. S. (Women’s Royal Canadian Naval Service) also known as the Wrens.  By the end of the war this division of the Navy had 39 trades open to women.  Job categories included steward, plotter, sick berth attendant and coder.  Ross and Doris dated throughout the war and even found time in Halifax in 1944 to “go out on the town”.

Ross returned home in 1945 and was discharged on October 2nd of that same year.  He received a Public Recognition Certificate from the Town, thanking him for serving in World War II.  Doris and Ross married on June 14 1947 and settled down on Saulsbury Street to start their family.


june 19 47

Doris continued her work as a telephone operator and Ross went back to the Middlesex Furniture Factory.  In 1950 a group panoramic photo was taken of the staff of the factory, here you see Ross in the second row from the bottom, 7th from the right.  He continued at the factory until 1982 when he retired.

Doris at a Switchboard

Middlesex Furniture 1950 web

Middlesex Furniture 1950 Ross

On his down time Ross liked to collect model trains, do yard work, and garden.  Looking through the local newspaper, the Strathroy Age Dispatch, we come across Ross showing off an amaryllis plant that had six blooms in February 1972.  Ross was also a regular member of the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Strathroy, and below you will see a photo from the 1988 Church Yearbook.

Ross Smith AD Feb 24 1972Ross and Doris Church Photo 1988

Finally there is one more photo, and this is how I will remember Ross, standing in his uniform with all of his WWII medals.

Ross with medals

Ross will be missed.

About the Museum

Museum Strathroy-Caradoc opened to the public in 1972. As a community museum we strive to preserve and tell the story of Strathroy-Caradoc, and inspire residents to explore and understand the community around them.

This Month’s Poll

Coming Soon

Twitter Updates