You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘memorial’ tag.

Mount Brydges Soldiers Monument

In the early part of the year 1919 a special meeting of the ratepayers of the Township of Caradoc was called by the Reeve, James Peters.  The town of Mount Brydges was considering erecting a memorial in the form of a building or other structure in honor and memory of the men of the Township of Caradoc who had enlisted in any armed forces during the Great War of 1914-18.  It the desire of the people of Caradoc to honour the memory of those who had made the supreme sacrifice in defence of freedom, so dear to the hearts of all British subjects.  The meeting was presided over by the Reeve while the township clerk, John Brodie, was asked to act as secretary. After long and interesting discussion it was decided to appoint a committee to further consider the matter and report to a later meeting.

At the second meeting the committee recommended that a monument be erected on the grounds in Mount Brydges on which the town hall was located and that the names of all those from the township of Caradoc who had given their lives in the war should be engraved thereon. It was further recommended that a marble tablet be placed in the town hall on which should be inscribed the names of all the men and women who had served in any way.

Early in June 1920 this committee was able to report that the monument was completed. The statue surmounting the pedestal had been obtained from Italy. The names of all those from Caradoc who paid the supreme sacrifice were engraved on the base.

The unveiling was held June 16,1920.

Unveiling Soldiers Monument Mount Brydges

Unveiling Soldiers Monument Mount Brydges

Researched and written by John Sargeant

Asa John Patterson 802074

Asa John was born on October 21, 1895 to Martha Patterson, and he lived at R.R. #2 Longwoods Road.  He enlisted on November 26, 1915 and his attestation papers state that he was a student. He also had prior military training with the 26th Regiment (Middlesex Light Infantry) whose headquarters were in Strathroy.  He left Halifax for Liverpool, England in August 1916 with the 135th battalion on the S.S. Olympic

During his time overseas he was transferred to two different battalions, the 134th and the 15th. 

He was killed in action in the attack at Vimy Ridge on April 9, 1917 and buried at the Nine Elms Military Cemetery  in Thelus, France.

After his death his mother received a memorial plaque and scroll, and the memorial cross. He is honoured on the Memorial Wall at the Caradoc Community Centre, and on both the Mount Brydges and Strathroy Cenotaphs. He also is commemorated on the Memorial Window at St. John the Evangelist Church in Strathroy.

For more information please visit the Strathroy Cenotaph website created by John Sargeant.

Below is a comment from John Sargeant requesting information on Asa John Patterson.

Last Saturday was the 94th anniversary of Vimy Ridge.  This First World War battle was fought between April 9 and 12, 1917, in the west of France, with 3,598 Canadian soldiers killed and 10,602 wounded.  This year’s anniversary of the battle at Vimy Ridge is the end of an era, with no surviving WWI veterans in Canada.  Vimy marked the first time all four Canadian divisions fought on the same battlefield.  They were led by Strathroy-native Sir Arthur William Currie, who was the first Canadian-appointed commander of the Canadian Corps.  For the month of April there will be a display on Vimy associated with the Currie items on loan from the Canadian War Museum.

 

All this month we will honour 5 Strathroy area soldiers who lost their life at Vimy; John Brown, Charles Perring,  James Kellestine, Asa John Patterson, and Cyril Lowe.

About the Museum

Museum Strathroy-Caradoc opened to the public in 1972. As a community museum we strive to preserve and tell the story of Strathroy-Caradoc, and inspire residents to explore and understand the community around them.

This Month’s Poll

Coming Soon

Twitter Updates