You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘artifact’ tag.

1989343

No. 5 Underwood Standard Manual Typewriter

This typewriter was used somewhere in the Strathroy-Caradoc area. It was gifted to the museum by the Salvation Army. The typewriter has a black base with gold details and lettering.

Underwood was the most successful version of the typewriter ever invented. It was created before 1900 and was popular until around 1961 with the introduction of the IMB Selectric (an electric typewriter). Most other companies modeled their typewriters after Underwood’s. This particular one is a No. 5 Underwood, a standard typewriter. They were made alongside No 3 and No 4 from late 1900 until 1931-1932. This particular No 5 model was made sometime in 1913. Underwood typewriters used a ribbon for ink instead of a pad which was easier, created less mess and had to be changed less frequently. Underwood had actually been a type ribbon and carbo paper (used to make copies before the invention of the photocopy machine) manufacturer before making typewriters.

The reason the keys on the keyboard are arranged the way they are goes back to the days of the typewriter. The goal was speed and efficiency- to type as many words in as little time as possible. The keyboard keys were originally arranged to maximize how fast one could type. There were several different arrangement ideas given but in the end one known as QWERTY won out. To further maximize efficiency every so often someone tries to come up with a new keyboard arrangement that is better than QWERTY but none so far have taken its place. This is the name of the keyboard type that is still used today. This model is slightly varied depending on the country and language used.

Advertisements

The Lady Sunbeam Hair and Nail Dryer is one of the items in our collection that most children would not know to look at nowadays.  Hair dryers back in the ’50s and ’60s were not only meant to dry ladies’ hair but “set” it as well.  This meant that as hair was dried, it was also styled.  The heat applied to the hair style made the hair stay in place for longer.

It took over 20 minutes to dry your hair back in the 1960’s.  In 1965, a similar product to the one the Museum holds was released.  Take a look at the YouTube video, Lady Sunbeam Classic 1965 Hair Dryer Commercial – it was the new portable way to dry your hair!  Ladies loved this model as they could multitask as their hair was being dried.

The long tube and the drying cap are what set this hair dryer apart from the modern versions we use today to essentially accomplish the same task.

Lady Sunbeam Hair and Nail Dryer

This is a LINDAR Camera that was produced in West Germany during the early to late 1950’s by a man named Friedrich Lindenscheid of Ludenscheid, Germany. What makes this camera unique is the logo on the front which is three white circles that have the letters F.L.L in them, the letters are the initials of the inventor. These marking can also be seen on his WW2 metals.  This Lindar camera takes a 6×6 cm photo on a 120 roll of film, making for excellent photos. The camera includes an instant bulb shutter lever, a single dial on the front that selects a yellow filter to enhance clouds in black and white photos just to add a little more drama to a photo with a gloomy overcast. This camera has a twin with the same functions, its name is the ” LINDEN Reporter”. Both of these cameras have a fix focus, one f-stop and two settings.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

For the month of August the Museum will highlight items within the collection using the alphabet.

This month you will get a glimpse of the collection.  We have been hard at work making the list and creating short stories for each item.  We have chosen a wide range of items within the collection that represent Strathroy-Caraodoc and surrounding area.  From the everyday household item to the unusual hand-made item, we have it all and maybe even a zebra for the end.

Check back tomorrow for A is for …..

About the Museum

Museum Strathroy-Caradoc opened to the public in 1972. As a community museum we strive to preserve and tell the story of Strathroy-Caradoc, and inspire residents to explore and understand the community around them.

This Month’s Poll

Coming Soon

Twitter Updates