img001How this bottle ended up in the collection is through donation. It was donated with several other objects belonging to local nurse Myrtle (Branton) Akins. Myrtle Akins was a resident of Adelaide Township, Ontario. Myrtle was a part of the Strathroy Nursing School and graduated in 1942. She worked as a nurse at SMGH until 1949/1059 when she got married. The medicine bottle most likely belonging to or was used by Myrtle. She was married to George Orland Akins; the two had several children and grandchildren.

This medicine bottle once held Penicillin Sodium (Crystalline) G. This was a white powder used to reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria. It was injected or given by intravenous. It should only ever be given if the infection is caused (or strongly thought to be caused) by bacteria.

The penicillin was manufactured by Henry K. Wampole & Co Ltd. The company was based out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the United States. In 1905 the company moved into Canada and opened up a factory in Perth, Ontario in 1906. The company was established in the 1870s by Henry K. Wampole, and in 1978 both Albert Koch and S. Ross Campbell joined the company. The penicillin in this bottle was made sometime after the factory opened in Perth though exact date is unknown.

The bottle itself is made of glass with a rubber stopper. It has an orange sticker on it which contains the information about what is inside and how it should be used. The glass was manufactured by T.C. Wheaton Glass Company (established by Theodore C. Wheaton) out of Millville, New Jersey, USA. The bottle has a trademark on the base reading T.C.W. Co U.S.A. Type III, the trademark of T.C.W. Co was used from 1900-1960. The bottle could have been made anytime, though it is more likely to have been manufactured in the 1930s or 1940s as that is when Myrtle (Branton) Akins was in nursing.

Advertisements